Sunday, November 8, 2009

on being happy.





After looking back on my 19 years of life, I can honestly admit that the majority of those years were spent being horrendously depressed. I wasted probably about 12 or 13 years of my life being miserable and unaccepting of people, starting at an abnormally young age. I can remember back when I was 8 years old... I already hated the world. For me, it seemed like things just got worse after that. I had some really bad points in my life, some encounters that most could not imagine.

It's just amazing that I stuck through with everything.

Yet after all that has happened... I can safely say that I am the happiest I have ever been. It's not the money that I make that makes me happy, or the things that I own. It's the little things that go out of their way to do the things they normally do. Like the cashier at Kohl's the other night.. She was just such a sweet, old woman that decided to get a part-time job so she could get to know people and not be afraid of them. Her and I spent nearly 20 minutes just talking about life and stuff in general.

I've realized that people complain far too much about so many little things. It just doesn't seem worth it to me, to complain about the unavoidable or common nuisances. It's the little things that make me happy and give me light, like a warm sweatshirt from the dryer, or a sunny day even though it's a little chilly out. Even just sitting down and watching the sparrows hop around cheer me up. I've found a lot of things to be grateful for, and a lot of things to appreciate. I'm just glad it didn't take so long to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment